September 1, 2008

Day Two

OK here's what I did yesterday.  The most exciting thing I did was-I met my host family's cat!!  
Only Jovita and Tautvydas were up when I went downstairs at about noon.  Jokubas had also slept in.  
My breakfast consisted of a granola type cereal (with the biggest raisins I've ever seen!), super eggy pancakes, and homemade apple jam (they use it like we use maple syrup, except the jam is a little thicker).  To drink I had some homemade pink juice.  It tastes like warm apples, but it's an apple grape juice (that was warm).  
Tautvydas told me that he needed to go to his school for a little bit to prepare for the first day of school.  While he was gone I got dressed and then Jovita and I took a walk to see my school and the town center.  We also bought a flower for me to take to Jonas' teacher today.  It's a tradition that on the first day of school every student brings a flower to their teacher.
By the time we got back Jokubas and Tautvydas were loading up the car with the lawn mower and getting ready to go to the "Ranch".  We took Laris (pronounced Larius) with us!!  It was his first trip in a car, and I don't think he liked it very well.  For that matter, neither did I.  
Driving is crazy here!!!  If there are any stop signs they seem to be optional, the middle line in the road is definitely optional, and cars ALWAYS have the right of way!!  If you're a pedestrian you want to make sure you're far away from any moving vehicles!!  Also, I don't know if anyone follows the speed limits.  If they do than the speed limits here are much higher than any I've ever seen.  It took us just over an hour to get to the ranch, but only about 45 minutes to get home!  On the way there the fastest we ever went was 116 kilometers per hour (about 72 miles per hour), but on the way back the fastest we traveled was 140 kilometers per hour (about 87 miles per hour), and that was on a gravel road!!!!!  I am VERY glad that I'm not allowed to drive over here!!
Once we got to the ranch Tautvydas showed me around the buildings while Jokubas mowed the grass.  (Look at my pictures on the pictures website.  If you don't have that address then email Rachel, she'll gladly give it to you: )  Then Jovita, Laris, and I took a walk down to the river (it looks more like a stream to me).  
Jovita and I sat and talked and worked on getting supper ready while Tautvydas helped a neighbor with something.  Supper was sausages (I think they were actually hot dogs and brats), fresh cucumber and red pepper, cheese, leftover pancakes with sugar on, rye bread (they were surprised that I'd eaten this in the U.S.), and white square cookie things.  Jokubas was anxious to get home and go met his friends, so we quickly packed up supper, picked apples, and came back home.  As it turned out Jokubas' friends weren't hanging out any more, so everyone was home.  Oh, actually Tautvydas went to get a haircut.  Then we were all home.  While Tautvydas was gone Jovita told me to go rest (they've been telling me that a lot!).  I told her that I didn't want to sleep because I wanted to sleep well last night, so she said I should talk to my family.  I did, and they reminded me about the gifts I'd brought for my family.  I'd almost completely forgotten about them!!  
I got the gifts out and gave them to my host family.  They were so appreciative!  Jovita wanted to try the tea right away, so we had a snack of cookies and tea.  Oh, I forgot to tell you the second most exciting thing that happened yesterday!!  In return for his help the neighbor at the ranch gave him fresh milk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I finally had a glass of milk: )  It is really thick, but I hadn't had any for two days, so it tasted GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After dessert I finished uploading pictures and then went to bed.  This sleep thing is getting to me!  I went to bed at about midnight, but didn't get to sleep until after 1am!  Then I woke up a couple of times during the night, and the last time I woke up (at about 6:15am) I couldn't go back to sleep!  Oh well, I sure hope my body adjusts to this time zone soon!
I finally went downstairs at 8am and Tautvydas was just eating breakfast, so I joined him.  I had more granola today (with the fresh milk), a cup of hot cocoa, and a half a slice of white bread with honey (from Tautvydas' school's garden) on it.
It's time for me to head off to the first day of school!  I hope you all enjoy your last day of summer: )

No comments: