September 23, 2008

Monday

The day started with not enough sleep. (Again! I've only had about two night's of good sleep since I arrived!) The first class was Russian. I can't understand a thing, and the teacher is nice, but doesn't see why there would ever be such programs as Rotary, so it's not the best class. The next classes were Math, Lithuanian, and Ethics. I mostly just sat in class, smiled, and tried to pick up a few new words. Between Lith. and Ethics I got a banana, two rolls, and water. That was my lunch. While we were waiting for the bell to ring for English to start I was talking to a couple of girls and they asked what I would be doing after school. I told them that I would just be spending the afternoon and evening back at my host family's house, and then they started talking in Lith. A few minutes later they turned to me and said "we have a plan". The English teacher (my main teacher who has my best interests in mind, not exactally what the director said should be so) let us out 20 minutes early, so most of my class walked down to the old riverbed (the pond near the city center). We were 5 minutes late to History, but the teaher was 10 minutes late, so everything was fine. Students were still telling about their families, and one girl interpereted the speeches for me, so it was interesting. After History three girls wanted to spend time with me, but two of them still had one more class to attend. The other girl and I (I don't remember all of their names) hung out in the library until three thirty and then all four of us went for a walk. Another girl joined us a little later, so five of us walked to a fairly large park and then sat and talked for at least an hour at the skate park. I didn't get back to the house until 5:30pm. Another thing I did yesterday was ask almost everyone for their contact information. Everyone here has Skype, so before supper I added everyone to my contacts. Then they all wanted to talk to me!! It's so great to finally feel wanted! Last night I got about 5 hours fo sleep. For some reason I seem to be loosing sleep rapidly again! This morning I woke up (for the last time) at about 6:30am! The temperature is supposed to get up to 60F today, so I'm only wearing two layers and I'm not cold! History was the first lesson today, and the students finished talking about their families. A couple of us didn't go to PE, so we're in the library waiting for Lithuanian to start. The same girl that hung out with me for an hour in the library yesterday helped me with my Lithuanian for a little while, so my vocabulary is growing! After Lithuanian I'll walk over to the Rotary meeting and then I'll have an hour to kill before meeting Vita to go out to the Nature School. I'm excited for the rest of this day!! I forgot to tell you about last Thursday afternoon! After school I walked over to the Technical school and watched a slideshow about the two, week long youth exchange trips that happened over the summer. Then Vita's Mom and I walked to the "Iki" (a chain grocery store) and bought candy. At 4pm we walked over to the dorm and hung out with 7 students. We talked about what everyone likes to do, and then drew pictures of eachother. They invited me to come back this Thursady, too! Well, that's it for now. Lithuanian starts in 14 minutes, so I'll save this and then review my words before heading to class. I miss you all!! Enjoy your Tuesday: ) Love and Hugs, Naomi P.S. I'm still wondreing who sent me that card!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're days are so busy! Everything sounds fun, even if you don't know much of the language!
~George~

Linnea said...

Ohhh Naomi! It's so exciting to hear all about what's happening with you. I'm in a bit of a slump because I'm swamped with Chinese homework, and PRESSURE so your blogs give me a wonderful little break from stress and studying.
I miss you!