October 3, 2008

Different Than I Expected

Today was a lot different than what I had thought it would be.  Not with what I did, but how I felt.  I meet Agne and we went to the hospital.  We met Nick (Agne's friend that I met at the train festival) on his way there too, so we all talked for a little bit.  After he left Ingrid showed me around.  I love being around her because she is always smiling and wants to make sure I have a good time and many good memories to bring back home!  The hospital was the least busy hospital that I have ever seen.  Most nurses were just sitting around talking.  Also, I was allowed in patients rooms, I even got to hold a one month old baby!  (See pictures.)  I don't even know if they have any visiting rules!  
After spending an hour or so there, Agne and I walked to the bus station to look at the schedule and find out how much a ticket costs.  KIMBO (the chocolate shop) was our next stop!  My lunch wasn't very big, or healthy, but it sure was delicious!!  We ate and talked for quite a while.  
We then stopped at a bakery to get breakfast for me for tomorrow before going to a small photo exhibit.  Agne thought it would be good for me to have a map of Vilnius to take along tomorrow, so we went to the tourist center to get maps.  I'm all set to go exploring tomorrow!
It was then about 2:15pm, and we didn't have anything else to do, so we said goodbye and I came back to the house.
Jovita was busy getting things ready for tonight.  I ate two slices of yummy bread and a cookie (the rest of my lunch!), and then offered to help Jovita.  She didn't want me to help with anything, so I caught up on somethings I needed to do.
I met Lukas and two of his friends (I don't remember their names) at 4:30pm, and then we went to a movie.  I think the name of it is "Cash".  It was in French with Lithuanian subtitles, so I didn't think I would be able to understand any of it.  It turned out though that some scenes were in English, and the rest was fairly easy for me to figure out the story line.  One thing I've learned in the past five weeks is to pay attention to facial expressions and body language, and I can usually figure out at least part of what someone is talking about.  
After the movie we all walked back to my host family's house because they wanted to see where I live.  I felt like I had three protective brothers who wanted to make sure I got home safely.  It was a good feeling!
Supper tonight was long.  Dr. V and the guy from the Netherlands were both here along with my host family and I.  We had appetizers first (cheese, olives, and pears on toothpicks), then supper (salmon, potatoes, and stuff), and finally (about and hour or so later) dessert (Lithuanian cake and my No Bake cookies).  Then the adults talked, and talked, and talked.  At one point they got around to talking about the flower celebrations in Holland, and I had to get my computer so we could see pictures that the guy (I don't know his name) had brought along on a memory device.
Dr. V left a little after 9pm, and I had thought that the other guest would leave shortly there after.  I was wrong.  Right now it's 10:30pm and he's still here!
So, back to feelings.  I had thought that I would be happy all day because I would be busy and with fun people.  I was busy and with fun people, but for some reason I wasn't as happy as I should have been.  A couple of times this morning I even caught myself thinking about things at home!  This afternoon when I was with Lukas and his friends I was happy, and I've been fine all evening.  I hope it was just a passing mood that won't come back!
Also, today I had several people told me that I looked pale and asked if I felt alright.  I felt fine all day!  I hope I'm not catching anything!
It'll be a short night for me 'cause I have to get up by 6:15 or 6:30am because the bus leaves at 7:20am and I need to leave the house at 7!  I'll meet Michelle at the main bus station in Vilnius at 9am, and then we'll spend the day exploring old town!  I'm excited to have a fun adventure!
I look forward to hearing about your lives!
Enjoy the day: )
Love and Hugs,
Naomi
P.S. Sorry if there are any typos.  I'm not going to take time to double check it 'cause I want to go to bed!  I'm so tired!!

4 comments:

Natalee said...

Wow what a day. You are having so many adventures and getting out and about. I think it is possible to have many feelings at the same time! Homesickness is like that, kind of always there at different intensities and mixed with other feelings can be confusing. Kind of like melted neopolitan ice cream! It sounds normal from my memories of homesickness. Maybe try to identify each of the feelings in a journal, it can help sort it all out.
Love you,
Natalee

Anonymous said...

Every time I read another one of your stories I can't stop smiling! I'm so glad you've made so many friends (and siblings:). And you finally got to the chocolate shop!!
Keep Smilin',
George

Unknown said...

I love the pic of the bakery. :-) Are the inside shots of your favorite one also? Watching a movie in French with Lithuanian subtitles sounds..... interesting? or not. Have fun tomorrow in Vilnius!

Linnea said...

Ooh! sounds like a good day :)

I'm just reading what my mom wrote and i totally agree with her. You're still amazing and I can't wait to hear how your adventure goes tomorrow!
xoxoxo