November 18, 2008

Zagareliai

4 whole eggs
2 egg yolks (we only used one 'cause that's all we had, and it worked fine)
2 soup spoons of powdered vanilla (I would only put in 1-2 teaspoons of liquid vanilla extract)
2-3 cups of flour
Beat all eggs together.  Mix in flour throughly.  You might have to kneed the dough with your hands.  If it's still very sticky add more flour.  Chill for about an hour.  Roll out very thin-1/8 inch or thinner.  Cut into 3-4 inch long by 1 inch wide strips.  Make a slit lengthwise in the center of each strip and slip one end of the strip through this slit. Deep fry in sunflower oil (I think any type of oil will work, but I don't know how much to use).  Stir around until all sides are done. (They only need to be in for 30-45 seconds, but they're not very crispy then like they're supposed to be.  If you prefer them crispy just leave them in a little longer.) Take out and sprinkle with powdered sugar immediately.  This recipe makes a bunch.  It works well to have one person cutting the dough, one frying, and one on powdered sugar detail.  It's almost impossible for one person to make these.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Note for American cooks: The powdered vanilla is likely actually "vanilla sugar" and I don't think that regular vanilla will be an appropriate substitution -- you'll get the vanilla flavor without the sweet.

I looked up the recipe in my cookbook, and it calls for 1t of vanilla (liquid) and 1/3 cup powdered sugar. Otherwise, the recipe is more or less comparable.

They sound good, Naomi. I'm going to give it a go!

Lynn

Naomi said...

Yep, it is vanilla sugar. Thanks, Lynn!