December 4, 2008

Three Months & Excursion

I can't believe it's only been three months! It seems like so long ago that I left. Christmas hasn't even passed yet! This past month has been tough. The novelty of me being the new exchange student at school has worn off, and now many students say hi to me, but nobody really wants to have any type of conversation with me. I don't do a whole lot at school, although it's more than when I started. Life really hasn't been all that exciting. Yesterday I went on an "excursion" with a group of international students who are visiting the technical school. We left at 8am and didn't get back until 10:30pm. It was a long day, and we covered a lot of ground. First we visited Rumsiskis (pronounced roomshishkiss) which is a living history museum in the shape of Lithuania. All the buildings are very old and originally from all the different regions of Lithuania. They've been brought there, and you can walk from one "region" to another. Since it's the off season hardly any buildings were open. We did get to make candles though, and I throughly enjoyed that! While we were there it was cloudy and chilly, and then it started raining just as we were getting ready to leave. It rained for most of the rest of the day. The second place we visited was Trakai castle. It's really pretty. Unfortunately we didn't have time to go to the museum that's inside, we just got to see it. The third stop was Old Town Vilnius. We went to Gediminas castle, a bunch of churches, and just walked around. I've been there several times, so it was my second, third, or fourth time seeing most places. The last stop was Akropolis which is a mall. We spent an hour there, and I was with Jovita and her friend. We went to a cafe 'cause they wanted coffee. I had a really big glass of hot cocoa (I had to add 10 heaping spoonfuls of sugar to make it drinkable though) and "bee" ice cream. I'll post pictures from the day next time I have a decent internet connection with my computer. A few are already up. At the flat I only sometimes have internet, and if I do it's really slow. We're going to try and figure out something else soon, but for right now I'm limited in what I can do. (I'm using my host family's computer right now.) Today I didn't go to school, so I attempted to catch up on things. I didn't get very far. This afternoon and evening I walked all over creation picking up mail, packages, & milk, and I went to the library for a couple of hours. When I left I had only my backpack which weighed about 5 pounds. Coming back I had my backpack, three packages, and three liters of milk. I think I was carrying about 30 pounds!! I made it all the way back to the flat though without any help! That's it from here. Tomorrow all that's planned is school. As far as I know there are no plans for this weekend. I hope you are all having a great December! For those of you in Northfield tonight, enjoy the winter walk:) Love and Hugs, Naomi

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just so long as you didn't drop the milk!! You walked more than I did today, but had we walked on the tour we'd have walk way farther. We had fun though, you would have enjoyed it, too.
~Rachel~