September 5, 2008

9/4/2008

Well, this was definitely not the most exciting day ever.  
I went down stairs to eat breakfast at 9:45 thinking we'd be leaving in 15 minutes (that's what Tautvydas had told me the night before).  While I was eating breakfast of granola stuff I read my first letter (thaks!!!!).  Then I was going to get ready to go, but Jovita said we wouldn't leave until 10:30am.  Oh well, at least I was ready early.  It took at least 20 minutes to walk to the Panevezys 2008 EXPO.  Jovita had told me that it was by the school I may or may not be attending (that still has to be figured out).  I don't know why she told me that because it was a good 10 or more minutes past the school!  The little ceremony was just starting when we arrived (I posted pictures).  I didn't understand any of it, but I know that several Lithuanian dignitaries spoke, there were people playing trumpets, a drum, and a piccolo, and it went on for 15 (or so) minutes! 
After that Jovita and I walked around for a few minutes and then stopped in front of a booth where a lady was demonstrating a 4-in-one type cooking tool.  After 20 minutes of watching the demonstration Jovita told me I could go look around the rest of the building.  She stayed and watched the demonstration for at lest 15 more minutes!!  It took me less than 5 minutes to see all of the other booths, and then I sat down at a mini restaurant booth and wrote in my journal while I was waiting for Jovita.  Finally, after being at the EXPO for two hours we left.  Jovita told me that she was going to the barber, so I could walk back to their home.  I stopped at the post office for a little while, and then came back to the house.  We didn't eat lunch at all yesterday (not even at a crazy time!!), so during the afternoon while I was packing for this weekend I ate 4 slices of french bread.  Tautvydas and Jokubas finally came home and we finally ate supper at about 7pm.  Supper was boiled/fried potatoes, very fatty meat, fresh cucumber, red pepper, and tomatoes, buckwheat, and a french roll.  They also had some sort of "milk product" (that's what they told me it was) drink for me to try.  It was sour and nasty!!  It tasted a little like sour yogurt!! Yuck!!  They also had 1% milk though, and that was almost better than the skim type milk I had the other night, because this milk doesn't have an aftertaste!
Later in the evening I showed all of them the two little photo albums I brought with.  Jokubas was very interested, and both Jovita and Tautvydas acted as if they were just being polite.  Oh well, at least I tried!  A little while later Jovita and Tautvydas disappeared (I didn't see them again before I went to bed) and Jokubas and I were downstairs watching TV.  Jokubas' English is fairly good, and he really likes asking me questions about America and he loves it when I ask questions about Lithuania.  Thankfully we get along really well!  
It was midnight here before I fell asleep last night, and I was awake before 8am!  For the past 12 hours I haven't been feeling great, so I've been taking it easy.  I'm so lonely and I really miss all of you!!  
For Breakfast I had a french roll, a slice of french bread, a glass of milk, and two oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (I gave them to my family, but they don't really like them, and if they aren't eaten soon they'll go stale!).
After Breakfast I took a shower and then finished packing.  
At noon today Robert (the member of my host Rotary club who is an American) is picking me up and I'll ride to Palanga (a town on the Baltic Sea) with him.  This weekend in Palanga is an National Rotary "Sport Weekend".  I'll be staying in  room with Raymondas' oldest daughter.  I doubt I'll have internet access all weekend, but I'll update my blog when we get back.  Tautvydas told me we'd probably be back by 8pm on Sunday, so depending on how tired I am I might not update my blog until Monday.
I know have to find something to do for the next hour.  
For those of you in Northfield, enjoy DJJD!!  Everyone, have a GREAT weekend!!
Love and hugs from Lithuania,
~Naomi~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fred,
I hope you're having a wonderful weekend! We're thinking about you!
Lots of love,
George