September 12, 2008

Life here

The only other thing I did yesterday was three loads of Laundry.  (Their washing machine is so tiny!)
Unfortunately I slept even worse last night!  Lees than four hours of sleep!!  Needless to say, I'm running on hardly anything.
Today Tautvydas took me over to the orphanage at 8am, and I was there until 4pm.  I played with the 5, 6, and 7 year olds for the first 2 1/2 hours, and then I was with the 2, 3, and 4 year olds.  With the older kids I put together puzzles, played a kids accordian and drum, and played a version of Dominos.  Down with the younger ones we built things (that stood for about 30 seconds) with plastic blocks and played outside.  The entire time I was with that group I had kids climbing all over me, wanting to sit in my lap, and hold my hand.  There were several arguments about who got to be with me.  Unfortunately I only have two hands, and my lap isn't big enough for three or four kids:(  One little girl started crying when I left for lunch!  
I ate lunch by myself today because the director had to take care of a new kid.
After lunch the little kids take naps, so I went over to be with the older kids.  I put together a puzzle for two hours, and then at four Dovile and Agne (Raymondas' daughters) came to pick me up.
The three of us then went out to the new movie theater and watched "Get Smart".  It was in English with Lithuanian subtitles.  I didn't fall asleep during it this time (I did the first time I saw it)!  
After the movie ended we came back to the house and they stayed for "tea".  (It was before supper.)
I'm not sure what was for supper.  Some sort of cooked veggies, meat and cheese.  I didn't like it.
Right after supper we watched a folk singing and dancing show on TV.  It was interesting, I'd never seen anything like it.
I'm so tired right now,  I hope I finally get a good night's sleep!
I don't think I'll be able post again until Sunday afternoon or evening (here).  We're leaving at 9am tomorrow to drive 60 km to dig potatoes with Jovita's family.  It should be interesting.
Thank you to everyone who has left a comment and/or emailed me.  I really appreciate it, and you've cheered me up in the past few days!
Enjoy the weekend: )
Love and hugs from Lithuania, 
Naomi

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That orphanage sounds a little like the Northfield library. :-)
Good luck breaking into your new sleep rhythm. I think you'll be glad once you get there. Have an absolutely awesome time digging potatoes! Take some pics!

Anonymous said...

Finally got on your blog site!!! This is going to be such fun, keeping up with your adventures. I hope you're having the time of your life!! I haven't gone to your picture site but that's next!! Not a lot new here. When Ed and Jean come over tomorrow nite I will show them this site and your picture site also. I'm sure they will enjoy them!! I'm sure sleep will come as you adjust to this new schedule.Now that I know how to reach this site I will be checking up on you regularly----Love, Suzi

Matt Hagen said...

i seem to remember the whole falling asleep thing the first time you saw get smart. Wait that is because you fell asleep on my arm. good times.

Anonymous said...

You're life is definitely interesting! I'm glad you were able to spend time with the kids and then at the movie with friends. Once you get busy you'll have a great time!
Keep Smilin',
George