Friday night I got less than four hours of sleep ('cause that's as much as my body would let me sleep), so I was very tired Saturday morning.
Tautvydas, Jovita, Jokubas, and I left just after 9am. I dozed in the car!! We arrived in Kedainiai, at Jovita's parents house, about an hour later. I met a bunch of the family, and then a cousin, Juste, and I walked over to another cousin's house (I forgot her name). (We didn't pick potatoes because they thought I should see the town.) We had tea to warm up (the temperature was in the lower 50s all day and there was a strong wind, so we were all cold) and then walked around the town for about three hours. The cousins were very good tour guides! I really enjoyed being with them and learning some Lithuanian history! It's so much fun to be a tourist! We saw a bunch of churches, one cousin's school, some government buildings, old town, and a beautiful park! At about 2pm we stopped for lunch at a "cafe bar" (that's what they call restaurants). I had hot chocolate (it was supposed to be eaten with a spoon!), chocolate ice cream (it was delicious!!), and a pasta dish. *One note about all of the restaurants I've been to here-they're very slow at bringing the food out! It takes about 15 minutes for them to take your order, and then up to 45 more minutes to get your food!
After lupper ('cause it was too late for lunch and too early for supper) we went back to the cousin's house and played card games. I learned a Lithuanian game, taught them how to play "egyptian war", and they reminded me how to play "war". I am so glad they were willing to spend time with me!
We walked back over to the Grandparent's house for supper at about 5pm. I met the rest of the family, and then the cousins and I sat and talked for a while. At some point yesterday afternoon it was decided that most of the cousins would come back to Panevezys to spend the night, and the parents would spend the night in Kedainiai. So, seven of us spent the night here. We made another supper here (three meals in about 6 hours!!), watched TV, talked, and then went to bed.
I slept for longer last night, but not soundly. I sure hope this sleep issue gets better soon, because I'm starting to get very worn out from doing anything!!
At about 11am this morning all seven of us took a walk around part of Panevezys and then stopped at a cafe bar. For brunch I had a pastry filled with chocolate and two scoops of vanilla ice cream! (That's all the food I had until 8pm tonight!!) It was yummy!
Tautvydas and Jovita came back at about 2pm and then the cousins left.
I spent most of the rest of the afternoon outside writing in my journal and enjoying the beautiful fall day!!
This evening was spent making supper (I was finally allowed to help!!), talking, and eating supper. It's about 9:45pm here right now, and I'm so tired that I'll be heading to bed shortly.
Tomorrow I'll be volunteering at the school for people with learning disabilities from 9am-4pm and then, it it's not raining, Jovita and I are going to go pick apples from Tautvydas' school's garden. I hope it will be a good day.
Thank you to everyone who has sent me an email (or two)! You've really helped me keep my spirits up! It's tough being so far away from home all be myself, and I really appreciate all of your support and advice!
Have a great Sunday afternoon: )
Love and Hugs from Lithuania,
Naomi
5 comments:
Sounds like you had a real "family" weekend. Was it just the kids who slept back at the Panevezys? That must have been fun!
The spelling of Lithuanian names and towns is hard for me to remember (or pronounce!!). I suppose they're looking a little more normal to you now!
Darn that sleep thing - wish I could send you a magic sleeping pill. Nea has slept 7+ hours a couple nights now and she's happy about that. Your turn now... :-)
Hi Naomi,
Your most recent email sounds so encouraging in so many ways. Like I said before you are amazing and I believe in you. I do want to learn how to cook something from Lithuania so I'm glad that you are learning. Annika, Dakota and I picked apples yesterday too and we made an apple crisp.
Hugs
What did you guys make for supper? I hope it was good :)
Yesterday I had a very lazy day. I only left the house once to buy onions, tomatoes, mushrooms and eggs. Can you guess what I ate? hehe
Have fun volunteering tomorrow! That will be very interesting. I can't wait to hear about it!
love love
I'm glad you were able to get a tour of the town. Your pictures of Kedainiai are great!
I hope you had an awesome day volunteering!
Hugs, George
Hei, hilsen fra Norge. I am busy so I just browsed through your last few days. Sounds like your not sleeping much. That is something I am getting used to. Ive gone to some very late night parties and no matter what, it is up and at it the next day or I get called a lazy american.
Its great your working with kids at an orphanage, sounds like just the thing you would love to do. Hows the language doing? Norwegian is getting better by the day but I think this language is a little easier than yours, as well as the fact I had a tutor for a full 4 months before I came. Lykke til, good luck, and keep trucking.
hadet bra
Post a Comment