October 27, 2008

Another Adventure Begins

I'll start with yesterday.  Jovita convinced me to wear my rain cost on top of my three other shirts 'cause the wind was cold.  After 10 minutes of walking I was boiling!!  The wind really wasn't that cold.  There were only five people (including me) at church and the "service" was only about 20 minutes long.  Usually they don't have a pastor, so a member of the congregation leads the service.  We sang several more songs that I recognized!  After the service we drank tea (blueberry tea is better than most tea I've had, but I still don't like tea), ate treats, and talked.  Daiva and her husband gave me a ride most of the way back to the house.  We then ate lunch and I continued getting ready for this week.  At 3pm Tautvydas, Jovita, and I left the house so they could vote. Nobody else was voting when we were there.  It's not very popular to vote here.  Tautvydas' driver met us in the city center and then took Jovita and I to Babilonas.  We bought tickets for the 4:30pm showing and then we got ice cream and watched people skating on the indoor ice rink in the middle of the shopping center.  I had some kind of berry ice cream and a chocolate something flavor.  They were okay, but I wouldn't recommend them together!  I really enjoyed "High School Musical 3" and Jovita couldn't stop saying how much she liked it! Since the first two weren't shown in theaters, very few people over here have seen them.  Jovita hadn't heard of it, but now I think she would like to see the other two.
Tautvydas had a meeting in the afternoon and we thought he'd be back in time for supper.  He wasn't, and Jokubas was at a soccer game, so Jovita and I ate at about 8pm.  I spent the next two hours glued to my computer watching Bethel's 100th Anniversary service!!  I love technology (when it works)!!  Jovita watched a lot of it with me, and Jokubas even came in to check it out.  It was so great that I could "be there"!!
When I went to bed at 12:30am Tautvydas still wasn't back!
This morning I woke up just after 7am.  Last night's sleep was somewhat restless, but mostly my mind wouldn't slow down.  Needless to say I'm very tired again today!
Nobody else in the house stirred until about 9am, and by then I'd walked to the mail box and was eating breakfast and reading three letters!!!!  It always makes my day to get mail!!!!  At 10am Jovita and I walked to the bookstore (I got two Lithuanian kids books to help me learn the language and they only cost $2.28!) and then to the post office.  
Back at the house I took a quick shower, and packed everything I'd need for the week.  We ate lunch at 1:30pm and I found out that I was supposed to meet the volunteers I'll be staying with at 2pm!  I hurried as fast as I could, but wasn't ready to leave until 2.  It didn't really matter though 'cause Jovita and Tautvydas weren't ready until 2:10 and then when we got here we waited for about 10 more minutes.  
It turns out that there are four girls that are volunteering at the school for people with learning disabilities this year.  Three are 18 and one is 20.  They're all from different European countries and know at least a little bit of English.  They do have to work this week, so I'm not really sure what I'll be doing.  Right now they're eating apple cake with the students at the adult daycare. They said they'd be back in about an hour.  On Wednesday at 9am we're supposed to go to the hill of crosses with Tautvydas' driver and teacher and two students from his school.  The volunteers have to work though, so maybe I'll just be going.  I don't know.  When Christina (I'd meet her when I was here about a month ago) was showing me to the volunteers quarters she told me that they'd been expecting me for the past two weeks and were disappointed that I hadn't shown up.  The director of this school is a Rotarian and Tautvydas and Raimondas had told me that the people at this school weren't expecting me!  I hate to let people down!!  At least they now know I'm in school so I they shouldn't expect me any more!!
I have no idea what's going to happen for the rest of the week.  All I know is that I can't get back into the house until Jokubas is there on Friday.  Then I'll drop my stuff, pick up what I need to take to Vilnius, and leave on the 11:30am bus.  I'll be at the US Embassy helping with a kids' Halloween party and then I'll take an early bus back so I'm here to celebrate All Saints' Day with my host family.
I'll post updates when I can.
I hope you all are having a great Monday:)
Love and Hugs,
Naomi

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a fun week. I can't wait to see pictures from the hill of crosses! Are you going to take a cross?
~George~

Linnea said...

What do you mean they took you "most of the way home" after church? hehe

It sounds exciting to have met the other volunteers! which countries are they from?