January 26, 2009

The weekend

Oh my goodness, where to begin!
On Saturday I took the bus to Vilnius.  I barely made it in time, but with running about 1/3 of the way, and walking super fast the other 2/3, I did make it!  I met Michelle and the lady that interviewed us, at 1pm.  We then went to a restaurant and had lunch and did the interview at the same time.  When we finally finished it was raining lightly, but Michelle and I spent a couple more hours walking around old town anyway.  We stopped a mall on the way back to her host family's home.  The evening was spent eating, talking, playing card games, and just having a good time.  We didn't get to bed 'till 3am!  
Everyone got up late on Sunday, and after we ate Michelle and I went into the city again.  It was sleeting, so we just went to another mall and walked around.  After eating supper back at the house we played more card games, and then I left around 7pm.  Michelle's host parents had friends from Panevezys visiting them this weekend, so I rode with them back here.  It turns out that they only live about a 10 minute walk away from Violet's!!  I'm hoping to stay in touch with them!
Everyone was feeling better by the time I got back last night.  The living room had also been rearranged, so now I'm bumping into things all the time in the dark again.  Oh well, it's fun to rearrange furniture every once in a while:)
Today I got to school exactly when I planned to, so that made me happy!  The Lithuanian lesson with the teacher was interesting.  There was a former student (he graduated 4 years ago) who helped today.  It's really hard to learn from the Lithuanian teacher because she doesn't know how to teach Lithuanian, and she doesn't get how I learn.  I write down words, and then study them, but I do not ever scribble all over those words and make them completely illegible. She's always doing that, so that makes me very frustrated.  Today she said that she doesn't want to teach me Lithuanian, she just is because nobody else will.  We'll see how much longer this lasts for.  I'm studying a lot more on my own again, and it's working much better.  This weekend everyone (except Michelle) knew hardly any English, so they mostly spoke in Lithuanian.  I understood a lot more than I thought I would, but because I never have anyone to practice with, my spoken Lithuanian is very poor.  I'm still workin' hard at it though!
That brings you up to speed with my life.  I hope you are all doing well!
Love and Hugs,
Naomi 

4 comments:

Linnea said...

It's nice to hear about your weekend! It sounds like you havefun with Michelle and that makes me happy :). and just keep trying your best with Lithuanian. It's so cool to think of you understanding that strange language!
love and hugs

Linnea said...

Oh, and I LOVE the new pix!
:D

Anonymous said...

Great job studying on your own. You can understand way more than I could:)
~George~

Anonymous said...

Great job studying on your own. You can understand way more than I could:)
~George~