The classes went by very quickly, and before I knew it, 14 students, Violet (my English teacher), and I were on our way to Kaunas!! Let me go back and tell you about school though before I get ahead of myself. All classes were normal, and today none of the teachers gave me any work to do. They all just ignored me. Oh well, the afternoon made up for a boring school day! Between the second and third classes I met a girl named Filomena who is very involved in a Catholic youth group! She invited me to go to a bible study with her next Tuesday. I'm excited to be with Christian youth again!
Ok, now about the trip to Kaunas. The ride there was fairly uneventful. We ate snacks, talked, I sat and listened, and some of the girls sang Lithuanian songs. It only took about an hour and a half to get there. We walked down Liberty Avenue (the main pedestrian street) for a little bit, and then headed over to the Ciurlionis Museum of Art. We listened to songs composed by Mikalojus Konstantinas Ciurlionis and then took a tour of his paintings. Since we went with the English teacher the guide spoke in English. It was painful though!! Even Violet agreed that his English was terrible. After the tour she asked me if I could understand everything the guide said, and I couldn't. That's how bad his English was!
After spending just over an hour at the museum we split up into two groups to walk around the town. The group I was in consisted of Violet, Lukas, Minara, Ada, Dovile, Carolina, a 2nd form (I think) boy, and me. We walked up the "mountain" in Kaunas to see the whole city. The "mountain" consists of 255 steps (about 210 are one staircase). It was a lot of walking, but the view was worth it!
Next stop was at a pizza restaurant. The pizza was the best I've had here!! The seven of us (same group minus Lukas) sat at the restaurant talking and eating for an hour and a half. We talked about so many things including how things are different here from America. They asked me lots of questions!
The most important thing that I learned all day is how to tell which restroom is for Men and which is for Women. I've been here for 7 weeks (tomorrow), and haven't been able to figure it out! Everybody I was with got a kick out of the fact that I thought the sign for the restrooms was an elevator sign! Good times:)
Our last stop was a doughnut shop. The doughnuts were delicious!! I even bought some to eat for breakfast tomorrow!!
We then walked down Liberty Avenue for a little bit before meeting the bus. We left Kaunas at 7:50 and arrived back in Panevezys at 9:20pm. The bus ride back was a lot of fun! All I did was talk to Lukas and Thomas (another 3rd from boy), but it was great to be talking to people who I can now call friends! I also taught them the wood chuck tongue twister, and Lukas taught me one in English about witches. Here it is: Two witches are watching two watches, which witch is watching which watch. I'd never heard it, but I sure like to say it!
I ended up walking back to the house, and when I got here only Jokubas was home. He wanted to hear all about my day, so we talked for a little bit. Not too long after I got back, my host parents called and said they'll be staying in Vilnius for the night and will be back sometime tomorrow.
So, as I said in my last post, this rainy day (it rained all day!!) didn't dampen my mood at all. It was a FANTASTIC DAY:)
Tomorrow there's nothing set, but I might go to Agne 2's grandparents house for lunch, and sometime this weekend I'll be helping Lukas with his English and he'll help me learn Lithuanian. The only thing on Sunday is that I'll be going to the Methodist church service at 11am. I'll figure out something to keep me busy for the rest of the weekend!
I hope you all enjoy your Friday as much as I enjoyed mine:)
Love and Hugs,
Naomi
3 comments:
I hope you never need to find an elevator! What a fun day:) I'm glad to hear you're having so much fun!
~Rachel~
I agree with Rachel :)
I'm off to look at pix now. I hope you put some up!
Cool to hear about your adventures!!! Wow, fun day friday:) I hope my trip to Warsawa this coming tuseday is just as amazing!!! Love you
-Breanna
Post a Comment