January 10, 2009

Trip to Vilnius

Oh, I'm so tired.  This post might not be as long as I had been planning on if I get too sleepy.  
Since I had trouble getting up yesterday, I set two alarms today, and was up by 7:10.  An hour later I was waiting at Tautvydas' school.  Twenty some students, 5 adults, Jokubas, and I rode the school's 45+ year old, super rickity school bus to Vilnius.  It turns out that today was a run to commemorate the 13th of January in 1991 (I think that's the correct year) when 17 people were killed as Russians tried to take over the TV tower.  A ton of people ran 9-10km from the cemetery where the people that were killed are buried, to the TV tower.  Three adults, and I didn't run, so instead Tautvydas and I were dropped off in old town, and the other two went to pick the runners up.  Tautvydas had a meeting, so I was on my own for two and a half hours.  I called Michelle, and she was free, so we met and hung out for an hour and a half or so.  While I was waiting for her to arrive, I stopped in a "Coffee Inn".  It's a super small one with standing room only, but it wasn't very busy, and it was quick, so that's why I chose it.  The girl that was speaks very good English, and (since there were very few customers) we got to talking.  She's super nice!  We ended up talking for about 45 minutes!!  At one point a super scary guy came in and wouldn't leave us alone.  The other girl finally got him to leave by picking up her phone and saying she was calling the police!  I'm very glad I was with her instead of on the street by myself!  
Michelle and I went to the post office, and then just sat and talked for a while.  At 3pm we were supposed to be at the parliament building, and we arrived a few minutes early.  We waited for about 20 minutes before Tautvydas showed up, and then it was another 20 minutes before the bus arrived (they had gotten somewhat lost).  While we were waiting for the bus to show up my phone rang.  It had been ringing all afternoon 'cause Tautvydas' phone was off, so Jokubas would call me to talk to his father, or vice verse.  So, when I heard "hey" on the other end, I got very excited!  It was Rachel, and she made it safely to Germany!!!!  
Touring the parliament building was very interesting.  I have several "official" pictures of me that I'll post soon.  
The ride back was uneventful.  I dozed for about an hour, and then the bus stopped a little over a block away from the flat.  Even though the bus is super old and the engine barely works, the heater works very well!  I was nice and toasty warm on the ride back!
Violet was glad to hear that I had a good day.  She made a version of spaghetti for supper.  I didn't eat much, but I'm very full, not sure why that is.
Now my eyes are half open, so I'm going to head to bed.  
I never heard from the pastor where their church service will be.  Right now, I'm just planning on sleeping as long as I can.  I'm so exhausted and tired (for really no good reason).  
Have a good weekend!
Love and Hugs,
Naomi

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had an interesting day. Hope you are able to sleep soundly all night and feel rested when you awake. Have a restful day tomorrow.
Lots of love,
Mom